Monday, January 12, 2009

interview with grave,d.j/host of journeys through the black abyss radio show

Interview with Grave DJ/creator of "Journeys Through The Black Abyss radio/show on B.E.R." and all instruments,vocals for Incidere. infernalobscurum@hotmail.com>

Interview done by Patrick

metal hales grave!! how are you doing this weekend and please tell the readers a little about yourself.

Hails Patrick! I'm doing pretty good this weekend.Well about myself lets see.. I have a band called
Incidere. I created this solo project about a year ago. I live in Florida which I hate because of the weather and pretty much just spend my time making music or working on my show Journeys Through The Black Abyss on Brutal Existence Radio.

when did you first get introduced to metal, who were some of the first bands you listen to, who are some of your current favorite bands?

What first introduced me into metal was when I was about 7 years old and my uncles would always play heavy metal such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and bands like that, of course I was too small to recognize it but I do remember everything. The time when I really got into it was when I was 15 years old I have a Black Sabbath tape I got as a gift and I would listen to it everyday until I got a computer and started researching more and more about metal and then got slowly into it, black metal, death metal. One of the first black metal bands I ever heard was Dark Funeral and Emperor. For death metal the first ones I heard were Cannibal Corpse and Necrophagist. After being into metal for about 3 years now its kinda hard choosing a favorite band since I've seen so many and met so many great musicians. But of course there's the ones that stand out a lot. As far as of now I like Marduk, Profanatica, Havohej, Funerary Pit, Watain, Black Witchery, Necrovore and the list never ends.

looking at your playlist i would say your 2 favorite metal generes are black and thrash metal. what is it you love about these genres? do you listen to other metal genres?

I listen to a variety of genres actually. Doom, Dsbm, Death, Grind, Thrash, Black, Old School Punk, Anything that sounds good and catches my attention. But you're right my favorite metal genre's are Black & Thrash, don't get me wrong I love all the other types as well but I guess I just grew to like these more, no special reason other than the fact that black metal has an atmosphere that no other music will ever have.

you are the host and d.j. for the radio show "journey through the black abyss" on brutal existence radio when did you first become interested in becoming a d.j.?

It all started last year around August when I came across an add for DJ's needed so I first applied at Open Grave Radio to start DJ'ing there, I had alot of free time so I figured this would be nice. My first show was in the month of October.

for the readers who have never heard of your show please give some background information on it? how did you come into contact with gazz and fowler (owners of brutal existence radio)

I only did 2 shows in Open Grave Radio because the station closed. Immediately after it banished a salvadorian based radio station called 95X offered me another similar DJ placement. I accepted since OGR was no longer open. I worked in 95X for about a month. I quit 95X because I got frustrated with the fact that I was the only DJ and it was getting hectic for me doing long hours. After that I got in touch with Fowler (co-owner) of Brutal Existence Radio, he used to DJ for Open Grave Radio too so I told him I wanted to become part of the Brutal Existence Radio team, next day he talked to Gaz (also co-owner of the station). Gaz and I talked and in no time I was DJ'ing for B.E.R. My shows are Tuesday Nights from 10p.m. until 3.a.m. EST and Thursdays 7p.m. until midnight EST.

what would you say is the easiest and hardest part of being a d.j., running a show? how many hours a day would you say you spend working on a show?

To be honest with you I don't think there's an easy or hard part about this, I like what I do because I support the underground and I support what I love which is metal, I enjoy finding new bands everyday and helping them get a name for themselves, another great thing about this is meeting such nice people as yourself who have the same interests and the listeners are one of the best things too. They come in and show support for Brutal Existence Radio and for the all the shows no matter what genre they are. That's why I mentioned there's no hard part about it. Very self satisfying. I probably work on a show for more than 5 hours sometimes it takes me 2 days to complete a playlist because I prepare trivia from each band, write it down and inform the listeners what they are listening to. With that everyone learns a little from each band I play.

do you have any advise for someone thinking about being a d.j. or wanting to start a show?

Yes I do, first off don't get nervous hehe, first couple of shows I did, I was terribly nervous. Relax, be ready and have fun that's about it really.

for any bands/labels reading this what styles of metal do you play/support on "journeys through" radio show and how can they contact you for air play?

The Tuesdays shows are mostly black metal and the Thursdays show are mostly thrash but when it comes down to it I play whatever I want in each show as sometimes people request different sub genres. So just for bands in general doesn't matter what sub genre, if you're looking for airplay contact me at www.myspace.com/brutalexistencegrave or email me the tracks at grave@brutalexistenceradio.com

in your opinion what is the best and worse thing about the underground and what does the term underground metal mean to you?


The best is the bands are not playing music for money, they are doing it because they enjoy metal and that's why they play it. Worst thing about it is that financially is very hard to put the product out to people, bands need equipment, recording equipment, rehearsal time & place, connections with venues etc. So being a underground band is hard to get money from what they do. That's the only bad thing I see from it. It can be very ironic but its the truth. Underground metal means you stay true to yourself and the music you make, there's no way in hell a mainstream band has the same concepts of mind as when they first started.

besides the radio show you have told me you recently started a band. When did you decide to start a band? Please give us some information on the project.

Well Incidere has been alive since early 2008 I actually made lots music for it but never released it. I want to continue with this project by myself and it will stay that way, if I have a chance to play live I will not take the offer because that's not what Incidere was created for. In about 2 months I will probably have the demo recorded, I need to go to the studio and with economic problems at the moment is kind of hard so just await the new material I have in stored. As for my other project which is raw black metal aside from Incidere which is more ambient/doom. This other project I have not told anyone about yet. And I don't have much information on it yet either but we're looking at a much more aggressive side of the spectrum. I will post more updates later.

How did you come up with the band name Incidere, does it have a special meaning? Have you had time to write/complete any songs for the band? How would you describe the music of Incidere?

Incidere is latin for "Incision" it does have personal meaning to me. Very hard to explain. I have 2 songs up on the myspace site but I will re record them so the answer would be no I don't have anything concrete for it yet, I do have a lot of ideas but lack of equipment and economically bad right now can't do anything with them. Incidere is like my get-away band. Is not a certain genre, is not a specific mode of being its just my ideas running wild and expressing anything I can't express in life musically.




do you plan to keep this a one-person project or are you currently looking for other members to join the band?

Incidere is a one person project and it will stay that way forever. As I said before I have another black metal band I'm starting and I am looking for members with that one. If you play guitar/bass or vox let and interested in playing for a black metal band contact me (infernalobscurum@hotmail.com)


when not working on the show or the band.what do you enjoy doing in your spare time ?

I watch sports, mostly football and baseball. I like to draw once in a while. Go to shows, concerts. Make music, rehearse and anything that has metal involved. I'm pretty calm.

Well my friend we have reached the end of the interview. thanks for taking the time to fill the interview Do you have any final words or comments for the readers?

Well Patrick, first I'd like to hank you and Winter Torment Zine for taking the time to interview me and also thanks to everyone who keeps supporting the underground. Check out Journeys Through The Black Abyss on Brutal Existence Radio and wait for more news from the bands I mentioned. Good luck to ya.
>

No comments:

A ZINE DEdicated To The Darker Side Of Metal Music....